Monday, January 28, 2013

Ahmedabad cyclothon: Kids steal the show


Amid the thousands of participants in Arvind Sabarmati Cyclothon 2013, children and teenagers stole the show. Flaunting their geared bicycles and sports accessories, they impressed the spectators present at Sabarmati Riverfront, the kick-off point for the event.
While hundreds took part in events that carried prize money, children joined the Dream Ride of 18 km, which did not fetch them any trophy, and wherein registration was free. “We wanted to prove that even we as kids can compete and ride with professional cyclists and can successfully complete the ride,” quipped Arjun Puri, 12, of Mahatma Gandhi International School.
For Tulika Bisht, it is all about fitness. “I like to keep myself fit. As I’m a basketball player, I wanted to check my stamina level as it is important for my sport,” said the Class 11 student of Mt Carmel School, who has played in six basketball tournaments at the 
national level.
Watching their children participate made the parents proud. They could be seen hugging their child on completion of the ride. Praising his son Arjun’s efforts, Mukesh Puri, a government official, said that his son convinced him to allow him to take part as he was so excited about the event.
Sharing his experience, Raag Patel, a Class 10 student of Delhi Public School, said, “This is not the first time that I’m riding such a long distance. I’m a regular cyclist and have travelled longer distances with my friends. Nevertheless, the experience of riding with a huge crowd was amazing.”
From convincing parents to adjusting their study schedule, students left no stone unturned to take part in the city’s first cyclothon. Many did not mind leaving aside their tuition classes. The impending board exams did not deter a group of four Class 12 students to participate and successfully finish the ride. “This is the first time that I bunked my tuition class for this event,” declared Uzair Barodawala, 17, of Nelson School, adding, “But it was worth bunking as I had a totally wonderful time riding with my friends.”
Sayad Mohamed Abbas of Maninagar resorted to ‘stealing’ his younger brother’s bicycle to take part in the Dream Ride.
Why should boys have all the fun?
A significant number of women from different walks of life participated in Sunday’s cyclothon - many home-makers in their forties could be seen cycling alongside professional athletes.
Pune-based Aarti Patwardhan, 40, won the Half Century (Female) race for 18-40 age group. Riding a Canon Dell hybrid bicycle, Patwardhan said that this was her first cycling competition. “I completely give credit to my husband and my son for my participation,” she added.
Though not familiar with Ahmedabad’s roads, Anjalee Bhajinge from Pune stood first in the Veteran category (above 40 years). “I wanted to take part in this event as I have never been to this city. I considered it as a good opportunity to visit the city and take part in this event and surprisingly I stood first (laughs),” she said.
Whether working professionals or homemakers, these women ensured that they balance their work and daily practice prior to the event. Said Madhvi Jhala, a Kathak dancer who took part in the Dream Ride, “It was difficult to do the household chores and daily cycling, but not impossible. I and my husband, Amit Jhala, a spine surgeon, have been taking part in mountain cycling along with our friends. This was another leisure ride on the city’s roads.”
For Dipalee Joshi, a dentist who stood second in Half Century (Female) Veteran category, “Riding for 48 km was not too difficult as I have taken part in Tour for Nilgiris for 200 km at a stretch.”
While some women joined the event for adventure and fun, Ashka Shah, 24, an urban planner, wanted to promote cycling. “Being in the transport field, we wanted to promote non-motor transport for the city, and wanted to highlight cycling as a means of personal transport,” she explained.
There were 15 women from the Cycling Federation of India, of which two won the Century (Female) race. Among the 15, one disappointed participant in the Century category was Panna Chaudhary. A winner in Delhi and Chennai cycle races, Chaudhary said that she couldn’t deliver her best. “I got confused with the routes and U-turns as the signs were not proper and got lost on the way. I couldn’t even be among the Top-10 women in the Century category,” she rued.

No comments:

Post a Comment